February 06, 2006

Old photos


I was scanning some old photos for my mom the other day. A lot of these old snapshots exhibit a natural, if odd, aestheticism. In this shot of Aunt Ethel, left, and Aunt Hertha, my grandmother's sisters, the composition is so interesting to me. I really like it uncropped. And the way they hold themselves, with the iced tea. Ethel's smile is a bit forced, while Hertha looks natural. I'm guessing this is from late '50s. Probably a Sunday afternoon? Would Ethel wear pearls on a weekday? I didn't know Ethel well; she lived in the Ozarks. But I saw Hertha often. Hertha was probably about 4-foot-10 and had a voice of a cartoon character -- very high-pitched, but kind of buzzy. Like a boy going through puberty. We still try to make her caramels, which there was no set recipe for. She died in her late 90s, peacefully during a conversation in her living room, if I remember correctly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home